Practice Areas:Main Phone: 585.546.2500
Direct Dial: 585.512.3516
Main Fax: 585.546.7218
Direct Fax (E-Fax): 585.512.3566
- New York (2001)
- U.S. Tax Court (2003)
- University at Buffalo School of Law, The State University of New York (J.D., cum laude, 2000)
- Ambassador College (B.A. in Liberal Arts, with distinction, 1989)
Ed is both a lawyer and a certified public accountant, and possesses seventeen years of experience as a tax professional. Ed's law practice is focused in the areas of project development, tax controversy and tax-driven business transactions.
Ed is recognized across the State in the area of project development, assisting private businesses and developers with identifying and obtaining tax incentives and financing for industrial, commercial and housing development projects. Ed's project development practice includes transactions involving the New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal and Industrial Development Agencies, and involves Federal, New York State and New York City tax incentives, as well as real property tax incentives under the exemption and assessment-review provisions of the New York Real Property Tax Law and New York City's Industrial, Commercial Abatement Program ("ICAP").
In addition, Ed counsels both businesses and not-for-profit organizations on tax-driven transactional matters and commercial real estate transactions with significant tax and financial implications, as well as general corporate, finance, banking and fund investment matters.
Ed also represents clients in tax controversy matters involving Federal income tax and New York income, franchise, excise, and transfer taxes. Ed represents clients before the U.S. Tax Court, the Internal Revenue Service, the New York State Division of Tax Appeals and the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance.
Following is Ed’s history of professional firm affiliations prior to joining MCCM:
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Rochester and New York City, 2006 – 2008
- Harris Beach PLLC, Rochester and New York City, 2000 – 2005
- Freed Maxick Sachs & Murphy, PC, Buffalo, 1998 – 2000
- Arthur Andersen, New York City, 1995 - 1997
- Ernst & Young, LLP/Kenneth Leventhal Real Estate Group, New York City, 1994 - 1995
- Margolin Winer & Evens LLP, Long Island, 1993 - 1994
Ed is a regular speaker on tax issues at continuing legal education programs sponsored by the Monroe County Bar Association, and also speaks at other professional continuing education forums covering tax issues.
- Monroe County Bar Association (Tax Section);
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants;
- American Association of Attorney-Certified Public Accountants
- New York State Economic Development Council
Ed was born in New Orleans and grew up in Slidell, La. After graduating from high school Ed traveled the U.S. while pursuing his college degree, living in East Texas, South Florida and ultimately Southern California, where he graduated from Ambassador College.
After college Ed settled in the New York City metropolitan area, where he practiced as a CPA and attained the level of manager in the real estate tax group of an international accounting firm (then one of the "Big 6"). In the fall of 1997 Ed left New York City for Buffalo to pursue a law degree. While attending law school Ed continued his tax practice with a local accounting firm. After graduation Ed settled in the Rochester area.
Ed resides in Fairport with his wife Mary and daughters Amanda, Sophia and Elena.